Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Insight

I was fortunate enough to get snowed in for a few days with a good ol' fashioned midwestern blizzard the final days of 2009. In my restlessness and bordom I listened to the audio book by Anthony Robbins titled, "Awaken the Giant Within." Something he said was very useful to me. This is good.

He said we can change what we associate pain and pleasure to. For example if I want to dodge the gym, or dodge a Son-rise session with my boy it's because I am associating it with the pain of it rather than the pleasure of it. I am associating the actual physical pain of lifting the heavy weights, the "missing out" of a relaxing night at home, the nuissance of going out into the cold to drive there, etc. The alternative would be to only associate my time at the gym to the pleasure of feeling better, pleasure of looking better, pleasure of time alone, pleasure of getting stronger, getting more confident, etc.

It is my choice.

This was great insight because I was able to use this concept this morning as well. Every morning I really resent the alarm going off. I am tucked away neatly in my warm bed and I have no desire to get up. I am tired..and I don't want to experience the pain and stiffness of my body getting up. I am a grump.

I am only associating getting up in the morning with pain.

I can choose differently though. I can associate getting up in the morning with being healthy, wealthy, and wise as the saying goes. I can associate getting up with the pleasure of getting a head start on my day. I can associate getting up with the pleasure of simply being given the opportunity and gift of living one more day.

It's my choice.

From now on, I want to snuff out all of the things I have been associating predominately with pain and see if I can change that association to one of pleasure.

Ohhh the opportunities here are endless!

~C.

No comments:

Post a Comment