Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Brain

You know the brain is not that smart. In fact it can't even tell the difference between actually doing something in the physical realm and imagining doing something. Look at the sports psychologists who suggest the athletes do a mental rehearsal of the task before the actual task. I guess there have been some studies done on this topic to prove that it is as effective as performing the actual task.

Anyway.. I started thinking about how this may be affecting my life. I have been accumulating evidence to support the belief that I may be overdramatizing certain situations to my detriment. The first clue I got when was Rhonda at Option told me to listen to my words. I kept using metaphors like, "shooting myself in the foot," "walking myself off a plank," "killing myself with diet and exercise"....   you name it.

I honestly don't think these things are really that big of a deal but apparently my brain doesn't know the difference.

For example I have been considering giving up certain foods that have been known to trigger episodes of uninhibited eating. It's not really that big of deal because it is only a handful of foods, but when I was talking about it the other night with a friend, I referred to it is a "death of a relationship." I referred to it as giving up food, eating, and enjoyment altogether.

This goes back to objective reality versus subjective reality. I am the creator of my reality, so if I keep putting messages of catastrophy out into the Universe.. that is exactly what I will create for myself. I will create suffering where suffering need not exist.

My brain is listening to my thoughts and the Universe is responding.

Change my thinking... change my perspective...  change my life.

Create my own hell, or create my own heaven. It's all up to me.. it is my free will.

Wow, what an enlightening week I've had so far. I am certain it will continue... as it always does.

~C.

1 comment: