Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fear of Powerlessness

OK.. I honestly didn't think that I operated out of fear. Who me? Nah...  Have you seen me? I'm tough. I have an edge. I have a nice big armour I wear.

However, and there is always a however...  I don't like to be boxed in. I don't like to be trapped. I don't like to have my back against the wall. I avoid those things like the plague.

Avoidance IS FEAR.

It is operating out of the "don't want" mentality.  I don't want this to happen, so I am going to do this. I don't want that to happen so I am going to that.  Get what I am saying? It's behaving reactively instead of proactively. Well... it's reactively proactive. Preventing something that may never come to pass and in the process closing myself off from all of the possibilties that may be positive.

I am keeping myself small and safe. Shielded from the big scary dangerous world......   How? By avoiding it and not fully participating.

Think of it... some of the men that got called up to go fight in the Vietnam War... protected themselves. They ran. They hid..   They escaped to safe ground. They were weak cowards.

Some of those boys... let themselves be vulnerable. Some of those boys went into battle not knowing whether or not they would come out alive and did it anyway. Those boys had to TRUST that they had been trained well enough to do what needed to be done in any circumstance.

Who says vulnerability means weak?

Vulnerability means courage and strength. Willing to take life's shots and trusting themselves to do what is necessary to defend themselves should the need arise.  Not hiding. Not running.

I get it. Thanks Tim for the insight. 

We grow through life's battles, and though I prefer smooth sailing....   I love being prepared for life's riches. I will only receive them when I am prepared to receive them. Preparation comes through experience. Experiencing ALL of life and never running for the border at the first sign of turbulent waters.

OK enough analogies.
G'night.
~C.

1 comment:

  1. How do you know what to say everyday to make me look at myself and go ok did you read that do you understand what she is saying......snap back girl and be proactive!

    L.

    ReplyDelete